Obtaining a Business License

  1. Set up an appointment with the Code Enforcer/Building Inspector (Ronny Blackburn at 662-838-2135)

    • to ensure the building is zoned correctly for your business

    • to ensure the building is adequate for your business and advise you of requirements (ex. Restaurants require a grease trap etc.)

    • to discuss renovations, remodeling, and additions

    • to discuss signage requirements, parking, and other details

    • to set up an inspection of the business

    • and once passed to receive a Use & Occupancy permit 

  2. You must apply for a Mississippi Sales Tax Certificate with The Mississippi Department of Revenue at 662-562-4489 or on their website at

  3. If your business sells beer, liquor, tobacco or prepared food you will also need to contact Mississippi Department of Revenue for Alcohol, Beer & Tobacco to obtain the following certificates. Mailing address: P.O. Box 127, Senatobia, MS 38668. Physical address: 2778 Hwy 51 S., Senatobia, MS 38668. Phone: 662-562-4489.

    • Alcohol permit from The MS Department of Revenue (ABC Division)

    • Beer License from The MS Department of Revenue

    • Tobacco License from The MS Department of Revenue (Local Office)

  4. Contact the Marshall County Health Department at 662-252-4621 for inspection and to obtain a Food Permit or for Inspection. The MCHD is located at 225 South Market in Holly Springs, MS 38635 and is open Monday through Friday.

  5. Visit the Town Hall at 225 Hwy 309 S. to obtain and fill out a Business License Application.

    • We will need to know the number of full-time employees and/or the wholesale value of the inventory.

    • If you have any questions in regard to your business license, please call Kathy Vanderhook at 662-838-2135.

  6. Use & Occupancy Permit

    • You must bring a copy of all required certificates listed above to receive your permit

    • Permit issued by our Code Enforcer/Building Inspector

    • Cost for permit is $5.00 along with the cost of your Business License.

*** Please visit the Utility page for information regarding utility services at your business.***